Sunday 22 May 2016

The invisible meeting

Gradually Joseph's nature transforming to a bohemian one. Perhaps' nonconformist' should be the appropriate word to define the nature of Joseph.So we can consider Joseph as a nonconformist.And eventually turned to  a typical nonconformist by his activities of roaming around and around.Other virtues of character if considered was pleasant and her mother rather had no complain against him.He was an intelligent boy with soft nature. He was neither orthodox too. He had a feelings of hatred towards any kind of addiction that many conformist possess.Joseph inherited these traits from her mother.He saw her mother wept for his father secretly even after long many years of his leave.

Joseph and Andrew were known to each other since their toddler stage.They used to live in two adjacent  attached small house. Their fathers were not so well-off.Since the families were small in size,these two intelligent house making mothers could however manage the food,the clothings etc with their husbands' little earnings. These two children along with the other siblings used to play in the nearby park in summer.The mothers accompanied the children,kept themselves sitting on the chair of the park and chatted  with each other.In the winter they often along visited house of each others  and played happily together.

They  grew quickly,passed their childhood days and entered the college.Joseph was very talented while Andrew just keeping on.Joseph used to cut highest numbers in class.So the teachers gave an extra attention to Joseph and  specially Dr. Goodwin was very hopeful about him.But then already started the pulling up of the curtain of drama.

During a semester break Joseph and Andrew went out of the city to break the monotony.With little money that they could manage from the mothers they started from the local travel agency office. They enjoyed but quickly finished both the money and vacation like anything interesting and tasty that finishes very quickly.Joseph and Andrew returned home and again started their semester.Then the thing happened..

Joseph informed Andrew about the advertisement of a local tourist department .
Joseph said,'Look Andy.this office offering low price for going..'
Andrew:Yes its possible.Its a off season.But why you are so excited.
Joseph:Look so cheap!Possibly our monthly pocket money is enough for this small trip.
Andrew:Are you crazy! In the mid of the semester  should we waste our valuable time?
Joseph became disappointed and with slow small steps he left the place.He knew Andrew was determined and would not swallow the bait.

Then last subsequent few days Joseph did not attended the classes.He was not found anywhere as if he was vanished.On a sunny Tuesday he was again discovered in the class by Andrew.And Andrew took his seat beside Joseph.With smiling face he asked 'What's up with you'?Joseph whispered ,'You really missed something'.Professor was in the class.
Andrew conceived Joseph could  not escape from the bohemian trait of his father.

Lastly  Joseph declared since he did not feel any interest he would  discontinue the study.Rather he would start working in a local restaurant. He started to work and gave his mother the earnings as family expense.Every six months he started his regular venture of visiting new places.He however did not inherited the irresponsible behaviour of his father Mr Donald.Joseph became a ruck-sack tourist.
Other than shedding tears what more the mother could do!


After the end of each  of his travel Joseph came to Andrew and loved to narrate the gathered experiences.While explaining Andrew perceived Josephs dazzling eyes. Andrew no doubt enjoyed all the delightful stories of  Joseph.The friendship between these two young chaps remained as deep as before.Now we enter the main story.

Last autumn Joseph traveled France.It was not far from  their place.Joseph liked to roam alone.He was fond of wandering the remote areas and be acquainted with local people, their culture and their food.He felt interested  to know the life of  aborigine people too.However that time he traveled remote villages of France.He described his experience of the visit to France.He started..

You know Andrew I like to travel alone.I enjoyed the trip. The villages were well away from the crowds. But all modern amenities were available there.This time I availed the opportunity to stay in an inn.It was a very cheap one and the cost was within my reach.Frequently I used to buy apple,bread and  juice for my lunch. I used to take my lunch usually sitting on the fallen log under a tree,or near the bushes of wild flowers and simultaneous watching and enjoying the natural beauties.This way I could save some pounds too and included more villages in my visit plan.The farmers of the villages used  to produce different crops like sugar,beet,wheat, maize and barley.They owned both large scale and middle range projects.Some were poor too. I mingled with them very closely. Their polite hospitality was remarkable.  'You did not find any problem communicating,Andrew interrupted. Oh come on Andrew! You had perhaps forgotten  Andrew,  once I enrolled French language as one of my subject. I did not find much difficulties in the interaction with the farmers.I even visited some farmers in their poultry and animal husbandry farm.


Those few days were not enough for exploring such
a vast area.My wallet also going to be emptied. So I had to start for the main town from where I can avail bus to reach my place.I walked and walked through the narrow road in between crop fields.It seemed that the path will never come to an end.I was feeling hungry.All the foods in my bag finished already few hours ago.There I could not even see a food store. Soon it became dark.'Lucky I am' I felt when soon the full moon crawled up in the sky.At least I could trace the path of my walking,but the wind was becoming cooler.I wished if I could see somebody for help.Any type of help,either it could be  shelter for the night and food or a transport up to the city.


Then I came across a house- a fenced house.There in front of the house were bushes which I felt in the dark to be to be the flower plants.A car was standing in front of the house near the porch.Feeble light coming out through the lace curtained window.I hesitated for a while and then pushing back the gate entered inside the territory of the house.Soon a dog-perhaps a hound started barking .I stopped for a while and following the sound of howling tried to look for the dog.However I could not find it.

I proceeded towards the main entrance of the house.I shouted loudly,'Anybody home'.No body responded.I rang the door bell once..twice..thrice but again no answer.But slowly and quietly the door opened.I waited but could not see any face on the other side of the door.Slowly I entered the house.In the big living room that I stepped several couches were placed here and there.There  was a big dining table in one side of the room with the chairs in front.I stand still and after a while chose a single chair very near to the fire place.I was waiting for somebody to approach me.I felt drowsy. Only a matter of moments somebody will of course come to me!But instead soon I heard the low voice of many people.Also I felt the stepping sound of many people.I was astonished but thought may be tiredness and hunger causing this hallucination in me. I heard the sound of people's  sitting on the chair. I also felt the very presence of many people in the room. But everything were invisible.

The flame in the fire place was low but enough to make my body warm.I kept waiting for the land lord or land lady.Soon I felt somebody crossed me and then a carriage full of food moved slowly as if somebody pushing it. It stopped and then saw plate full of food floating and coming down on the table and occupying precise place.People were talking with each other in low voices and passing papers to each other. Undoubtedly the noise of turn over of papers I heard!The foods from the plate I found floating at man's mouth height and then vanishing.Subsequently all the foods were finished. Watched the tossing  of the wine glasses in air and listened the whispering of cheers.Without no confusion  I heard quite clearly.

I was scared.I was trembling in fear and felt the flow of ice cool water down my back bone.I was panic struck and stood up.Somebody came to me and offered drink,'Please!' with whispering voice.Her coming I felt with the fragrance of a perfume.I saw two floating bright blue eyes and smiling lip staring at me. I knew nothing until next morning before I saw myself on unknown bed.

The land lord and land-lady entered with some chicken soup and bread.They wished me.I asked them what happened and how I came here.The land-lord described.He told he was driving to the city. In front of the haunted place his car went out of order.He came out of the car and mend it.But his dog was shouting and jumping as if it saw something unwanted or unknown.So he brought the dog out of the car.The dog started smelling and proceeding towards the abandoned place.He had the cross hanging from his neck to protect him from all evil things. He was not scared  and followed the dog and saw me lying unconscious in the bush. And he brought me his home.He mentioned there was no house and no fence and no car.He also added long ago, during the Nazi regime,the Germans occupied the house there.It is said they used to live and often had their meeting in that house.But for some unknown reason one evening it was blasted.There is a hearsay the Nazis were holding an important secret meeting when it was blasted.There still remains some remnant of the house covered by bush.I was listening breathlessly and returned to my full sense ..I need to return.

I enjoyed the story of Joseph.This time I felt he was frightened and also I knew that cannot stop him of traveling.
After two months Joseph again had started for venture.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment