Thursday 21 April 2016

Under The Banyan

I had to go to another part of the country to the branch station of my research institute. It was located bit far from the head quarter. In the past I used to work in the agricultural research.

On that very day, I received a late evening instruction from my superior to collect some data, photographs and specimens due to a national issue arising that time as infestation by unknown organisms on one of the crop.

Next day I started early morning so that I can finish my job and return to office by late afternoon. Unfortunately due to heavy traffic on way because of a road accident I got delayed. When I reached my branch research station it was almost past mid afternoon.

After reaching the branch station I had a quick brunch and rushed for the field. At that time we were researching multiple crops on that site. As I didn't get any site stay order I was obliged to return back the same day and I had a seminar next day to report back my findings.

On way I carried tags, specimen collection kit, a record book and a camera with me in my ruck-sack.

As I reached the banyan tree near the field I saw a woman in red dancing joyfully on her own. I stepped towards and shouted, 'Hey, who are you? What you are doing here'?

She stopped dancing and froze. I repeated 'You know you can be charged for trespassing. Unauthorized person is not allowed to enter this place.'

She turned, stared towards me and angrily pointing her finger said, 'You bitch you are the trespasser and will be charged and punished'.

She continued, 'You entered my territory without my authorization and you better get lost.. fast!'

I noticed her eyes become reddened with anger as if like two fire balls. Considering her a crazy woman I felt it was better not to argue any further. I turned back and walked on the isle of my concerned piece of land.  

But to my astonishment I felt my body as becoming very heavy. I was sweating tremendously. Soon I started feeling my legs are getting glued to the ground and my vision becoming blurry.

And then suddenly the nice breeze stopped. I wasn't sure why but I thought that it was happening may be due to tiredness and long distance travel of the day. 

After having finished data and specimen collection and some photographs, I started walking back to the office. I did not see that woman. I felt happy thinking at least the woman did not dare ignoring me.

Feeling happy, I reached and opened the door of my temporary resting cabin assigned by my office and a sudden chilling shock made me numb. I saw that same lady from the vast crop fields was tearing apart all of my valuable papers.. It was the same woman under the banyan tree that I saw. I realized the room was icy cool and also the bed was pulled to the middle of the room.

I was shocked, puzzled and also felt quite afraid.
I gathered my courage and shouted out loudly, 'Hello, You.. You There!!' She turned her face towards me and then came rushing to the door. She gave me a hard slap on my face and vanished within a twinkle of eye.. and suddenly I felt the walls crumbling towards me.. the world getting dark.. and sound stood still..

I do not know how other people found me but next thing I remember that some of the people working in that remote substation helped me to revive me to my senses.

I could not return home that day. I discovered some broken pieces of red glass scattered on the door front and I could recall that those shards belonged to the bangles of that mysterious lady.

Next day in my office desk I pulled out all my data sheet from the previous day in a haste together with the specimen kit and photographs that I had collected the earlier fateful day.

To my utter shock I discovered the data sheets completely blank and the specimen jars empty! I felt like to faint a second time as the world started circling all around me.

All my colleagues stood surrounding my desk to see my findings they were staring down at me with an inquisitive look. I thought 'Oh, thanks God! I at least should have the photographs with me to shut their mouth and produce some proof that I didn't escape my duty.. which might go in my favor somehow'.

Then came the last nail in the coffin, all the photographs that came out from the negatives shown a superimposed figure.. none other than that of that wicked woman.. with a bewildered peculiar and mocking smile on her face..                                    

The woman was successful in her challenge and revenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment